Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:55:45 -0500
From:      Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: (postfix) SPAM filter?

>> * Once it is setup then it would require no additional maintenance.
>> * Potential spam messages are marked with a special header that can
>> be filtered on user discretion on their local mail client software.
>>
>> Neither performance, scalability, license nor cost is of much
>> importance to me at this point.
>>
>> Any hints?
>
> SpamAssassin (in the ports tree). It's relatively easy to set up and
> can be used server wide or on an individual basis. Individuals can
> also override site-wide settings. Links to setting up with postfix
> can be found on the postfix site.

I was going to recommend that, but from my experience, there is no real
*easy* way to allow users directly to modify their own settings. I am
probably wrong though.

Another solution (which is also not a do-it-yourself), is
http://barracuda.com.

We switched from Postini to an internal Barracuda cluster and have never
looked back.

I might add that I personally run an ancient version of SpamAssassin on
my personal box which still works, and I have an upgraded box coming
down the pipe. I have no experience with having inexperienced users
manage their own account with it though.

Steve