Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:14:21 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

> > Maybe you should make cvsup.freebsd.org as a rotary (of sorts),
> > which returns a different IP address based on the callers IP
> > address.  (or is that even possible?)  That way, any given
> > host will always try the same cvsup server, but you'll be
> > spreading the load out among the servers.
>
> Thats not so easy. What about this:
>
> cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup1.freebsd.org.
> cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup2.freebsd.org.
> cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup3.freebsd.org.
> cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup4.freebsd.org.
> cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup5.freebsd.org.
> cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup6.freebsd.org.
> cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup7.freebsd.org.
> cvsup		IN CNAME	cvsup8.freebsd.org.

This is wrong two ways.

First, the data associated with a CNAME is supposed to be the
cannonical name of a host, and not another domain name with only
a CNAME resource record.

Second, a domain name can at most a single CNAME record associated
with it, and other other record types.  BIND will (should) barf on a
zone file containing the example you listed.

> If you simply put "cvsup.freebsd.org" into your supfile you'll get
> randomly one of them. This should spread the load fairly well. If
> you want a special one then simply put "cvsupX.freebsd.org" into
> you supfile.

You could play some DNS games to get this effect, though it's not
clear what the randomness of the list of resource records is supposed
to be.  Certain the DNS protocol doesn't define any randomness.

> I don't see any appearant reson (short of network connectivity) that
> one *needs* to get always the *same* server.

See previous mesasge from John regarding doing two successive updates
where the servers are not synchronized with the same version files.

Is this really a problem that demands solutions this complicated?  The
solution isn't necessarily a technological one;  a simple email message
reminding people of other servers might be sufficient :-)

louie