Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2008 01:09:51 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for Supermicro hardware owners...

I'm in need of administrators who use Supermicro hardware, specifically
Supermicro servers or motherboards, for a project I've been working on:

http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/bsdhwmon/

If you have said hardware, and are willing to help, great!

FreeBSD-specific stuff that's required:

- smb.ko must be loaded (either via kldload or via "device smb" in
  your kernel configuration)
- System must be running RELENG_6 or RELENG_7.  I'm willing to try
  CURRENT as well, but have only been testing on 6/7 so far.
- Must be i386 or amd64.
- You must have root access to the box, obviously.  :-)

Details I need from you:

- Exact server or motherboard model; please don't guess!
- Output from "kenv | grep smbios"
- Output from your BIOS's "Hardware Monitoring" screen.  A photo of
  the screen is fine, but even better would be if you have Serial
  Redirection enabled in the BIOS so you can remotely manage BIOS
  settings.  This will, of course, require a system reboot.

The process works like this:

Once I get the above data, I'll get in contact with Supermicro to obtain
necessary technical documentation, which can take a couple of weeks.
They're forthcoming with details, but slow to provide it.  I wish I had
some real engineering contacts over there...

I'll then write the necessary code, and send you a tarball as a MIME
attachment.  You'll need to run "make", and run the compiled binary.
Naturally I'll need need the output.  :-)  They should also be compared
to that of what the BIOS reports (there may be some variance, especially
in regards to temperatures; this is normal).

Other odds-and-ends:

The program at this stage is alpha.  I still have much to do, such as
adding decent comments to the code, writing proper READMEs and code
details for those who want to help, a manpage, etc...  The code is not
as well-written as I'd like, but it's not a bunch of hackery either.  I
treat compiler warnings *very* seriously, for example.

That said -- I haven't had a single incident of this program causing a
kernel panic or resulting in odd system behaviour.  I've had one other
user testing it so far, and he hasn't reported anything either.  I've
been testing the code on both our development and production boxes with
no issues.

Feature requests are highly encouraged, but but my main focus right now
is getting good hardware support.

And yes, there are a couple of Intel and Tyan boards listed on the site,
but right now I'm focusing predominantly on Supermicro hardware.

Thanks!