Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:57:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Todd Hansen <tshansen@sdcc10.ucsd.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        bpowell@ucsd.edu
Subject:   an lm79 device driver

Brian Powell and I recently finished implementing a FreeBSD device driver
for the lm79 system monitor by national semiconductor. We are interested
in submitting it for inclusion in the FreeBSD kernel. However, we are also
very interested in getting constructive feedback on our design. You can
access the driver at: http://millenium.atcg.com/~taco/lm79.html. Below is
a listing of features and areas we would like some ideas on in order to
pursue further. BTW, if this device driver ever gets into FreeBSD we are
interested in further developing it and supporting it as well.

Features:

1) can read lm79 sensor values into a struct by simply opening the device
file.

2) can read lm79 sensor values with ioctl call

3) can set lm79 thresholds and check them, using a simple user program
(provided) you can even halt the system or log a message on violation.

What we need help/leads on:

1) how to get a call back function to occur at a specific time (useful for
select's 1.5 second delay as well as to periodically check thresholds on
lm79 without a user program).

	-Todd Hansen & Brian Powell
	 University of California, San Diego