Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 18:02:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kevin Fernandez <diamond@comm.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Questions

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Kevin Fernandez wrote:

> I am attempting to install FreeBSD on a 486SX from diskettes which I
> copied from your ftp site and I have a few questions.
>
> 1)     I'm attempting to use a very small hard drive (41 mb), is this
> too small for the OS? If so, what is the recommended amount of space?

100mb is the minumum for anything decent.  You could manually prune the
bin dist down to 40mb, but it's very difficult for the novice user.

> 2)    What are the recommended sizes for the swap file and the file
> system?

Swap is usually 2xRAM, go to 4xRAM if you're running X.  This is relative
to the amount of RAM you have; if you have 40MB or greater, you can afford
a smaller swap partition.

For the filesystems, the defaults provided by the 'A' command in the
installer should be a good start.

> 3)     After going through the install program, I get a message similar
> to "panic: I'm not going anywhere without my init." It gives me this
> message just after it warns you that it is about to make changes and
> before it attempts to write to the hard drive. Can you tell me what this
> means and how I might solve this problem?

How much memory do you have in this system?

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo