Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 17:06:31 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about installing two instances of FreeBSD on same machine...

I'm a new FreeBSD user I have two hard drives. On one drive I've installed
FreeBSD 4.3 with the default boot manager. The second drive is not being used.

I'd like to run a second instance of FreeBSD on the second drive. The idea is
that I could experiment there without worrying about screwing things up and
just reinstall when necessary.

I'd also like that second instance to share the same /usr/home/michael/
directory and to be able to mount other directories from the first instance
to make it easier to copy configuration files between both environments.

I _think_ I should boot from the 4.3 CD, format and install a system on the
second drive, and not install a boot manager. Then I should add the second
system to the boot manager's config file.

The part where I'm sketchy is how to make /usr/home/michael accessible from
both instances and how to mount directories from the first instance when I
need them.

Can you please give me some direction here? I don't need details -- just the
broad strokes. I just need to know basically how to procede.

Thanks.

M.

--
Michael O'Henly