Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 2002 07:26:14 +0100
From:      Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?= <Lars.Koeller@Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?= <Lars.Koeller@Uni-Bielefeld.DE>, lkoeller@cc.fh-lippe.de
Subject:   Re: OK to add USE_SOX, WITHOUT_AUDIO knobs?

----------

Hello Alan!

> Would you accept a patch that added USE_SOX, WITHOUT_AUDIO knobs?
> The whole reason this comes up is that faces is required by the
> (new) port print/muttprint, which needs the uncompface program.

Sure, exmh is another example which needed uncompface. Now the compface
port is deleted and reduced to faces, this all gets a little bit more
complicated!

> For a program that prints mail messages to drag in rplay or nas is
> kind of ridiculous.  Also, it seems that the "play" command from sox
> should also work just fine, if you don't want to drag in daemons for
> network sound.
>
> Lastly, it looks like your patching to enable audio is incomplete; the
> audioSupport resource in Faces.ad is still left set to false. Shouldn't
> that get changed to true if audio is wanted?

It should, if I remember right.

> I'll work on a PR & patch to make all these changes. In the meantime,
> let me know what you think of the idea. Thanks.

Yes, but keep in mind, that I'm working on a new port. So
you can directly sen the diffs to me, and I merge it into the new port
of faces. This port could also be compiled without X11 support and
without audio support, so you get nearly what the compface port was
before.

The problem of all this is, what are useful defaults? Especially in the
context of portupgrade. I'm missing a feature, which saves the original
settings when building the port for later automated upgrade with
portsupgrade.

Suggest you build and install the faces port with WITHOUT_X11 and
WITOUT_AUDIO but the defaults are WITH_X11 and WITH_RPLAY. An later
upgrade with portsupgrade leads to an not intended configuration.

Best regards

Lars

--
E-Mail: Lars.Koeller@Uni-Bielefeld.DE        \  Lars Köller