Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 12:51:34 +0100 (BST)
From:      Chris Dabrowski <chris@vader.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Processes

Does anyone know what could be causing these error messages:

May  5 05:31:09 tatooine innd: ME cant spawn /news/bin/control/newgroup
for control/newgroup/17509 Resource temporarily unavailable
May  5 05:31:09 tatooine innd: ME cant fork /news/bin/control/newgroup
Resource temporarily unavailable
May  5 05:31:09 tatooine innd: ME cant spawn /news/bin/control/newgroup
for control/newgroup/17510 Resource temporarily unavailable
May  5 05:31:09 tatooine innd: ME cant fork /news/bin/control/newgroup
Resource temporarily unavailable

I'm running FreeBSD-2.1 STABLE with MAXUSERS (in the kernel) set to 64. I
have tried setting it other values all to no avail. Is there any way of
increasing the number of processes?

I use my machine to run X, inn, named, nfs (client & server), apache,
samba and sendmail (from inetd) so the number of processes can get quite
large (about 70), but when the above occurred I wasn't even running X.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've had a look as some man pages (sysctl)
and the FAQ and Handbook but it hasn't helped. The Handbook states that
the number of processes is equal to 20 + (16 * MAXUSERS) or in my case 1044
which should be more than enough.

Spec:
	P100
	48 Mb RAM
	Adaptec 2940 PCI
	64 Mb Swap (32 Mb partition & 32 Mb file)

Cheers,

Chris
--
Chris Dabrowski