Date:      Thu, 15 Sep 2016 02:15:05 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to read linux-lvm on 11.0-RC2 using geom, bhyve, fail.

--brkCqAR4SbAfrV35mp0d5j1SSlR2VPHWH
From: Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org

--TOwsQAgjfnW1IAqdVghxTaEkNgRN4Rusr

On 2016-09-15 01:10, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> I'm converting some Xen/Debian/Windows domain servers to
> FreeBSD/Bhyve/Samba domain servers. Windows is still required for a cou=
ple
> of applications, but I've recently had enough success with Samba4 to tr=
> this.  Not the problem.
>=20
> The machines have two disks (was RAID-1 before, will be RAID-1 after) a=
nd
> I've run the FreeBSD install on one disk leaving the other alone.  I'd =
like
> to copy off some of what's on the other disk, so I set about trying to =
read
> it.
>=20
> BHYVE ATTEMPT
>=20
> Believe-it-or-not, I tried bhyve first.  Being the more complex solutio=
n,
> of course.  I tried booting the other disk in bhyve.  I chalked that
> failure up to it still being a Xen config... wasn't sure how that would=

> boot for fail under bhyve... so I grabbed a debian live CD from the net=
 and
> tried to boot it.
>=20
> Now, I'm following the directions from
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/virtualization-host-bhyve.html ...=

>=20
> And the error both times was failing to find init.  Both booting the CD=

> _and_ booting the disk.
>=20
> I can't seem to find any further documentation on my problem.  Linux bo=
ots
> to it's initrd filesystem state and fails to leave it because it (claim=
> it) can't find /sbin/init (even though in the CD case, it's there)
>=20
> GEOM ATTEMPT
>=20
> After this fail, I decided I didn't really _need_ to run linux here and=
> discovered 'geom_linux_lvm.ko' ... cool.  But fail, too.  Doesn't emit =
any
> messages.  I even enabled the debug messages for it.
>=20
> The linux disk is partitioned thusly:
>=20
> =3D>        63  1953525105  ada1  MBR  (932G)
>           63        1985        - free -  (993K)
>         2048  1953523120     1  linux-data  [active]  (932G)
rg"
>=20

Are you using zvols to back the VMs? Make sure they are in 'volmode=3Ddev=
'
not 'geom' (the default), or GEOM will lock the device when it detects a
partition table being written to the zvol (from the installer inside the =
VM)

Note that this setting requires you to export/import the pool or reboot
to apply.

--=20
Allan Jude