Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 1995 17:27:40 EDT
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Minor change to make

> > I want make to silently ignore a failure to find a .include file. The
> > reason I want this is because in the next release of X imake will generate
> > Makefiles that can use include files for dependencies if the system's make
> > supports it.
> >
> > N.B. ClearMake, SGI, and Digital, makes all have include directives that
> > silently ignore a failure to find the include file, so this isn't a new
>
> ...as does gmake (which is available as a package), so you could use it
> if you wanted to avoid rebuilding /usr/bin/make...

Humbug again.

Since it's 99&44/100ths of the way there already, why should I have to
tell people to go get gmake? Why can't the make that comes with the (next
release of the) system "just do it"?

I've had a fair number of bug-reports submitted by people who insist on
using 100% gnu. gnu make, gnu ld, gnu as; even when the tools that came
with their system are more than adequate. They tell me that gmake had
an error, gnu ld won't link their shared libs on SunOS; doctor, it hurts
when I go like this. I don't want to be in the business of telling people
to get and use gmake, because then when it doesn't work, they'll expect me
to make it work. I'd rather tell them to use the one that came with the
system because it's known to work.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY
X Consortium