Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:48:50 +1100
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make options

At 17:40 13/11/2001, Edwin Groothuis sent this up the stick:
>On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 04:28:29PM +1100, Rob B wrote:
> > When running make in, for example, /usr/ports/www/squid24, do I uncomment
> > the variables in the Makefile or specify them on the command line?  If I
> > put them on the command line, what is the incantation?
>
>If you put them on the command-line, you will have to remember
>yourself what they were for a next built.

not so good

>If you put them in the Makefile, you will have to remember yourself
>what they were because the Makefile gets overwritten when you do
>a cvsup.

not so good.

>Putting them in /etc/make.conf would be a good idea, it also gives
>you some space for documentation.

Would this mean that the /etc/make.conf file would get huge?  I mean, most
ports are fine with the defaults, but if I have 6 or 7 ports that I need to
modify, wouldn't the makefile become rather large?

Supposing I was to edit /etc/make.conf, how would I specify different
options for different ports?

Cheers and thanks,
Rob

--
There are trivial truths and there are great truths. The opposite of a
trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is another

[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian
This is random quote 983 of a collection of 1185