Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/3885: /usr/bin/ppp -ddial sleeps forever instead of redial

The following reply was made to PR bin/3885; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To: Brian Somers <brian@utell.co.uk>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 23:21:16 +0300 (EEST)

 Dear Brian,

 I found what was the cause of my trouble.

 While configuring that site, I somewhat messed up and forgot
 that LQR isn't working when enabled at FreeBSD ppp side.
 I also hand-created another problem (it is mentioned
 in the manpage), redial timeouts in ppp were interfering
 with 'pulse-time XXX' cisco's interface command on other side.

 So strange enough, first connection went nice but redial wasn't
 able to succeed.  After all that headscratching,
 two days ago I discovered that
 there weren't 'disable lqr' and 'deny lqr' clauses in my config.
 Adding them solved the problem.  What was happening --
 ppp tried to establish a connection but went asleep despite
 of getting packets back, because
 it thought that LQRs should be coming already (?)

 48 hours of continuous PPPing with reconnects (inspired
 by wiretapping ;) went nice. So sorry for bothering you,
 send-pr bin/3885 should be considered closed, and my _real_ claim
 (as I understand now) was the fact that LQR was behaving odd.

 I'll upgrade my personal workstation at work to 2.2-9706XX-RELENG
 and redo the testing with cisco.  If you want me to test
 some specific setup via a nullmodem between 2.2-RELENG and
 cisco 2511, IOS version 11.2(6+) -- I'll do this.

 Is the copy of PPP in http://www.freebsd.org/~brian the same
 as in 2.2-RELENG? or does it have some additional fixes?

 Thanks a lot for your helpful attention!

 On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Brian Somers wrote:

 > Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 17:49:52 +0100
 > From: Brian Somers <brian@utell.co.uk>
 > To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, stesin@gu.net
 > Subject: Re: bin/3885: /usr/bin/ppp -ddial sleeps forever instead of redial
 >
 > I havn't received a reply to my last mail.  Is this problem fixed
 > since June 20 ?  If you don't sup sources, a copy of ppp is
 > available from http://www.freebsd.org/~brian.
 >
 > -ddial works fine for me !
 >
 > Cheers.
 > --
 > Brian <brian@awfulhak.org> <brian@freebsd.org>
 >       <http://www.awfulhak.org>;
 > Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour !

 Best regards,
 Andrew Stesin

 nic-hdl: ST73-RIPE