Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:01:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Quincey Koziol <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-amd64 Digest, Vol 39, Issue 3

> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:13:56 -0800
> From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
> Subject: Re: Help getting to Current
> To: Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
> Cc: freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
>
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:52:00PM +0100, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > On Tuesday 02 March 2004 21:37, Quincey Koziol wrote:
> > >     I've recently installed FreeBSD 5.1 on a new dual-opteron PC (an MSI
> > > K8T Master-FAR2 motherboard).  However, I'm having trouble getting current.
> > >  The pre-built cvsup binary I installed with pkg_add fails with this error:
> > > ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
>
> You're trying to run a binary built for 5.2 against 5.1.  This does
> not work, as you have discovered.
>
> Your best bet is to update to 5.2.1, since amd64 support is much improved.
    Ok, I managed to copy the source code off of the 5.2.1-RELEASE CD-ROM and
(after hacking the makefiles a bit) build a new world & kernel.  However, after
installing the new kernel (and rebooting in single user, with ACPI disabled),
I'm back to the same behavior as when I boot the 5.2.1 CD-ROM itself - the
system is _glacially_ slow, taking many, many minutes to make progress in
booting and making interactive use (at the console, since network connections
always time-out) extremely difficult.
    Is this a general symptom of amd64 machines that others have seen?  Would
disabling "INVARIANTS" or "WITNESS" in the GENERIC kernel build help?  Or, has
this been addressed in 5-CURRENT and I just need the most recent source?
Could anyone help me out by providing a .tgz of a recent /usr/src?

    Thanks,
        Quincey