Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:37:56 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, adkin003@tc.umn.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ext2_sync and NULL inode and VNON v_type

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > AFAIK, it worked fine before the soft-updates integration.  After the
> > soft-updates integration it didn't even _compile_.  I fixed this - it
> > took three lines of changes, which I snarfed from FFS - but I haven't
> > done any testing etc, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are other,
> > more insidious problems from the integration.  I just needed it to
> > compile so it wouldn't block LINT.
>
> I'm curious, but not enough to drive home during lunch.  What did
> you have to change?  There was not supposed to be an impact.

There's a lot of code shared with ext2fs.  There are #ifdef EXT2FS's all
over the ffs code.  There are also ext2fs only modules that are very
similar to their ffs counterparts, but slightly different.  A good example
is ext2_fsync, this one was not lite2ified.

The ufs directory code could have been used in it's entirety if it weren't
for some small gratutious changes in the ext2 on-disk directory format.

The other main differences include a different block allocation scheme and
no fragment support.  They use block groups, which take the ffs cylinder
group wins without the geometry based code.

Other than that they look very much the same.

Regards,

Mike