Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2012 22:36:56 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: acroread9 makes CPU spin (busy loop?)

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 22:17:37 +0200, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
> hello, world\n
>
> I'm wondering if it's just here or if other people also observe that
> acroread9 makes the CPU spin at 100% (one load point), as if in a busy
> loop. This happens for me on 9-STABLE and 10-CURRENT alike (amd64), with
> up-to-date ports tree. It has done this as long as I can remember. Maybe
> there's something wrong with the way I compile my system and custom
> kernel, and if so, I'd like to get to the bottom of it. The only
> diagnostics I get are
>
>    (process:33229): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
>         Using the fallback 'C' locale.

That seems to be a result of sloppy programming. That message
is also printed by many "modern" Gtk applications.

> and dmesg says
>
>    linux: pid 33229 (acroread): syscall inotify_init not implemented

Same here, also seems to refer to acroread accessing a Linux
kernel call which FreeBSD's ABI does not implement.

> Anybody know what's causing acroread to spin?

No idea, but I can conform this on my home system too. It's
OS version 8.2-STABLE (from August 2011) i386, and I have
acroread9-9.4.2 and acroreadwrapper-0.0.20110529 installed.
The program is still responsive (as far as you can say this
for bloated programs). In "top", the WCPU value increases until
it reaches 100.00%, and CPU utilization monitor shows a "bar".
When the program is closed, everything goes back to normal.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany