Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 10:30:22 +0200
From:      Kyrre Nygard <kyrreny@broadpark.no>
To:        "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: makeworld FAILURE on 5.4-STABLE

At 13:54 15.05.2006, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
>On Monday 15 May 2006 04:03, Kyrre Nygard wrote:
> >
> > Hello Don, good old friend :)
> >
> > Yes I am back. I had to change my alias because too many people
> > were after me. And also I'm still stuck on the same problem. I did
> > make a clean 6.1-RELEASE blow at my Pentium 120mhz firewall which
> > needed the buildworld the most. Now it's my Pentium III 3,2ghz
> > workstation that needs it, however it's got too much data on it that
> > I'm currently in no position to back up, not even temporarily, so I'm
> > not sure what to do other than this buildworld. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Oh yeah, I accidentally left the `*' out in chflags -R noschg.
> >
> > Take care,
> > K*
>
>I was hoping it be as simple as a missing '*', but I would think there
>would be error messages  showing up about that. Oh, well.
>
>Ok, you're stuck in the same place as before, and by that I mean you are
>failing the 'make buildworld' part of the sequence, correct?. That
>means that there's something you're either doing or not doing, prior to
>starting the buildworld that's causing a problem.
>
>What's in your /etc/make.conf?
>
>Try doing 'make buildworld' with the GENERIC conf file rather than your
>NINJA one. The problem may be there. If you can get through the upgrade
>using the GENERIC you've got the upgrade in place and you can find out
>what's wrong with NINJA. That's the best I can suggest for now. And do
>the 'make cleandir' twice, as Gerard suggested. It's not irrelevant.
>
>Don

Hello Don!

Yes it's the `make buildworld' as far as I know.

The /etc/make.conf contains PERL_VER=5.8.7 and PERL_VERSION=5.8.7.

Is it possible, do you think, to use a FreeSBIE CD maybe to clean out
everything on my harddrive but my /home/kyrre where all my important files
are, and then reinstall the latest FreeBSD without reformatting?

It might be risky, let's say I hit the wrong switch and it does
format everything,
but you get my point right? To just lay a new FreeBSD on top of an empty
harddrive?

I hope this is possible somehow ...

Well, take care Don!

-- Kyrre