Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:46:26 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Drew Jenkins <drewjenkinsjr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting Env

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 03:37:23PM -0800, Drew Jenkins wrote:

> Don Hinton wrote:
>
> ># ldconfig -aout -f /etc/ld.so.conf /usr/local/lib/mysql/
> >
> >will create it for you.  man ldconfig for more info...
>
> Well, that created a binary, but when I rebooted...nothing. Same problem :(

Well, either put setting the environment variable in rc.conf - then it
will be readable by everyone or put it is the script that needs
the variable to be set.

> #!/bin/csh
> setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib/mysql/
>
> (chmod +x) but that didn't execute, dunno why. But then how do I call
> that script? What shell does /etc/rc.conf use?

What failed in the script?  are those two lines the only ones
that were in the script?   If so, the script does nothing.
It sets the variable only for things from within the script.
The script is a shell.  I suppose you could source it, but that
stil takes a command.   If you want the environment variable to
be set for something that is taking place in the script, then
that variable must either be set in a durable way in the parent
environment or be set right there in the script that is using it.
The rc.conf method will make it available from the parent.
That is the whole point of rc.conf.

////jerry