Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 08:24:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        abial@korin.warman.org.pl (Andrzej Bialecki)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AIC-7895 (on-board double-channel SCSI)

Andrzej Bialecki wrote...
> Do we support such a controller? I'm trying to boot today's kernel on such
> a motherboard, and it doesn't detect the SCSI at all... :-((

	The 7895 is only supported in the new CAM SCSI code.  Check out:

ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam
or
ftp://ftp.kdm.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam

	Read the README file in there, and if you want to try it, apply the
diffs to a -current source tree.  (both the first set, and the incremental
diffs)  If the diffs don't work well, let me know, and I can get you a
tarball of the current CAM source tree.

	Unfortunately we don't have a boot floppy right now, so to get that
machine up and running you'll have to put the hard drive in another machine
temporarily and copy all the necessary bits over.

> First, I was bitten by bounce buffers (machine in question has 512 MB
> RAM), so I had to build custom installation floppy. It's not for the faint
> of heart, though... but finally I succeeded. If I'll make it today (I'll
> be leaving till New Year), then I'll send dmesg, mptable, pnpinfo and
> whatnot I can gather during these 2 hours...

	Well, if you want to make a CAM boot floppy as well, I'll be glad
to put it up for ftp..  If you can, though, I think it might be
easier/quicker to just take the hard drive from the machine in question and
put it in the machine you used to make the release and then copy the
stuff over..

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry