Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:00:00 -0800
From:      Benson Wong <tummytech@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does the mpt(4) driver work for the LSI Logic 929X chipset?

Hi,

I am thinking of getting an LSI Logic LSI7202XP-LC Fibre Channel card
(uses 929X). I read the hardware compatibility list for FreeBSD 5.3
and it says there is full support for the 929 chipset. I was wondering
if that also extends to the 929X as well.

The "X" means that the card uses PCI-X. I am assuming that it would
work, but a few loose assumptions has left me with a 5.6TB XServe RAID
that I can't talk to! :( I also got the Apple FC card, which uses the
929X chipset, and FreeBSD does not recognize it at all. Supposedly
Apple made some modifications to it but there's no way of seeing what
those are.

Also: When I boot the card into a Windows XP machine it says "New
Hardware Found".

So if anybody know if the LSI7202XP-LC with the 929X chipset would
work, I would appreciate any experience you can share.

On a side note (sort of related), does the GENERIC kernel on the
installation ISO have the mpt(4) compiled into it?

thanks.
Ben