Date:      Sat, 5 May 2001 19:15:55 -0700
From:      Adam Kranzel <adam@alameda.edu>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        roam@freebsd.org, dscheidt@enteract.com, yoshi@parodius.com, sf@freebsd.org, kris@obsecurity.org, knu@idaemons.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestions/cleanups for the nethack ports

(apologies for resending this, i forgot to cc -ports)

On Saturday 05 May 2001 05:06, you wrote:
> At Sat, 5 May 2001 04:48:23 -0700,
>
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 03:08:30PM -0700, Adam Kranzel wrote:
> > > The nethack port is still at 3.2.3, which is no longer maintained,
> > > and should probably be retired.
> > >
> > I believe the reason it was left around is that 3.3 breaks
> > compatibility with saved games, so people with old savefiles and
> > long-running games may be annoyed if it goes away :-)

Perhaps it could become nethack32 or something instead?
I would hope most people have finished their saved games in it by now, but
there are probably some people who still want to play it.

> I might digress, but 3.3.1 has some serious bugs that let me hesitate
> in moving on to the new world.  For example, try zapping a wand of
> polymorph at your pet and see it KABOOOM!! ;)

It does indeed have some bugs, although considering that every bug on the
list at nethack.org has "fixed in next release" next to it, perhaps we can
expect a new version soon.
There are also 3rd-party patches available for some of the bugs, which I will
try to find.

I have also been informed that the existing nethack-gtk port contains
additional features over the GTK support integrated into the base
distribution, so we should probably keep it, though perhaps it should be
renamed.

I will try to get some patches together in a week or so, I have finals this
week, so I don't have much free time.

 -Adam