Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:05:40 +0200
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@freebsd.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>, ports@freebsd.org, python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: python 2 and 3 modules

Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:26:24PM +0200, Marcus von Appen wrote:
>> David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>:

>> Set this in
>> the version

>> freebsd-python mailing

>> versions around, I

>> > Of course from ports it will work. I've told about binary packages.
>> >
>> > When you bulk build a package for python 2.7 and python 3.3 the
>> > /usr/local/bin/python will be included in both versions. Because bulk
>> > building python 3 modules will requires to set PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION
>> > and PYTHON3_DEFAULT_VERSION to the python 3.3 interpreter.
>> >
>> > Then the poudriere bulk will generate python 2.7 and python 3.3
>> > pkg-plist including for both /usr/local/bin/python and all of the
>> > non-versioned files I've already told above.
>> >
>> > You may now think "who cares? it build from ports". I would say no,
>> > binary packages will be used more and more in the future.
>>
>> I would not, either. This however is a problem with the package builder
>> and ports infrastructure, which would need some install hooks to allow
>> a check at installation time.
>>
> That is totally wrong, that is a python bug (python is not the only
> one in that
> case).

It is not wrong. You just misunderstood me.

> The ports have only be design for source installation, problem is
> when you are
> buidling packages properly each packages are being done in a cleanroom aka a
> jail without anything installed in it that makes python 3.3 port think it is
> becoming the default because no other python are installed at that time.
>
> This result in all python port defining bin/python, and thus they
> _do_ conflict
> with each other. While this was/is silent with pkg_install, pkgng
> yell about it.

On the port level, yes, with the IF_DEFAULT conditional.
We have lang/python, which acts as wrapper; what conditional in
the package builder triggers either port of lang/pythonXX to install itself
as default (except for the current default version defined in bsd.python.mk,
which uses _PYTHON_PORTBRANCH for that)? If I closely follow the port logic,
only lang/python27 should be picked as default, if no specific flags are
provided. Or I'm missing something obvious in the bsd.python.mk logic.

> A fun thing you can do with pkg_install (in binary mode only no
> compilation from
> sources and with packages built in a cleanroom)
> # pkg_add -r python27
> default is now python27
> # pkg_add -r python33
> default is now python33
> # pkg_delete python27
> hey I have no default python anymore.

If that is really the case (I can only confirm that for lang/python27),
let's get it fixed on the bsd.python.mk and lang/pythonXX level and let
lang/python do the magic, which it is supposed to do.

> Java is solving the problem by using a javawrapper. There is 3
> possible way to
> solve the situation with python, move the symlink dancing into a post install
> script. Have a javawrapper like thing.

The post-install script is what I was talking about above. So we both
mean the same.
Anyways, we have lang/python, which would be the best place in my opinion.

Cheers
Marcus