Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:53:08 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do we still need portmap(8)?

At 2:00 PM -0700 10/9/02, Terry Lambert wrote:
>"Danny J. Zerkel" wrote:
>  > And a list of files to delete would have saved many emails
>  > about the GCC being broken when the old headers just needed
>  > to be deleted.
>
>No, it wouldn't.
>
>The same people who failed to read the mailing list, and see the
>first time the problem came up, and was solved, would fail to read
>the file.  The information was available after the first time the
>problem was successfully and publically addressed.

Please note that Danny was replying to Warner's suggestion.
What Warner said was:

  =    Yes.  Clearly, there are some files that should always be
  =    deleted (stale binaries and header files), some files that
  =    should often be deleted (those things replaced by ports
  =    under the same path, for example), and some things we'd
  =    want to [ask] the user to removed (eg, libfoo.so.N-1)

The fact that it is a "list of files" does not mean that it is
only useful if a human being reads the list.  We can have a list
of files, and have a PROGRAM which reads that list and processes it.
Ie, some files in that list would ALWAYS be deleted ... while for
SOME other files "we" (via the program) would ask the user if they
wanted those files to be removed.

I think most of us realize that we need a solution which can be
automatically executed as part of every installworld or mergemaster
run.  The debate is over the most reasonable method of doing that.