Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:17:44 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alberto Villa <villa.alberto@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, "Jason J. Hellenthal" <jasonh@dataix.net>
Subject:   Re: show port commit history in portmaster

Alberto Villa wrote:
>>  For two it means that the upgrade always needs to be connected and
>>  able to connect to the freshports site.
>
> you need it too when you download distfiles. also, read the next answer

A lot of users download all the distfiles first, then use portmaster
in "off line" mode. This is why users requested the -F feature.

>>  Four I don't see why anyone needs the commit info at upgrade time
>>  because as a part of administration this should be taken care of before
>>  you decide to upgrade anything.
>
> no, i didn't mean this should be shown when upgrading: i would add an option,
> something like --commit-history. by you as the casual portmaster user, this
> change wouldn't even be noted

While I certainly appreciate your wanting to include this as part of
portmaster my suggestion would be that you polish this up a bit and
submit it as its own port. I could easily see why users would like to
have this functionality in a convenient form, whether they use
portmaster or not.

Doug