Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 96 14:03:57 EDT
From:      Thomas Bennett <bennett@centerline.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to setup NIS?

I am having some trouble setting up NIS on a FreeBSD 2.1.0 system.
I cannot find any documentation on how to setup up NIS.  I looked in
the FAQ and the handbook.

This is what I have done:

1. I set nis_clientflags to the following in my /etc/sysconfig file:

   nis_clientflags="-s"

2. Using vipw, I added the following to the bottom of the master.passwd file:

   +:::::::::

3. I rebooted the machine and verified that the ypbind process
   was running.

Everything seems to work, except nobody can log into the machine.  It
doesn't recognize their account in the NIS database.  Using ypcat, I
can display the NIS password file (ypcat passwd) and all of the other
maps.  I can even switch to someone's account using su, if I'm logged
in as root.  Also, finger recognizes everyone in our NIS database.  It
just doesn't work when someone tries to login.  The login process
doesn't seem to consult the NIS password file.

Is there something else I need to do to get this to work?  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

---
Tom Bennett