Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:49:18 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Do I need to make /var bigger?

Pat Maddox writes:

>  I just got a new dedicated server setup with FreeBSD, and noticed that
>  the /var partition is only 260MB.  That seems like it could be a big
>  problem, considering all the logs will go in there, as well as mail.
>  What should I do about this?  Do I need to do an OS reload and have a
>  bigger /var partition made up?  I've got an 80 gig hard drive, so
>  space isn't really an issue.  Doesn't make sense to me that I've got a
>  77 gig /usr partition, and only 260MB allocated to /var.

	It depends - very much - on what you're using the machine for.
Help us out here.
	For comparison, on the current machine which is half server
half workstation:

huff@> df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s1a    484M    337M    109M    76%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/da0s1d    989M     69M    841M     8%    /var
/dev/da1s1d     44G     31G    9.2G    77%    /usr

				Robert Huff