Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:03:14 +0200
From:      Barry Irwin <bvi@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Damien Tougas <dtougas@converging.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Users sharing the same home directory

On Wed 1999-09-29 (00:51), Damien Tougas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently have several users sharing the same home directory. The reason
> I am doing this is because I want them all to be chroot'd into the same
> directory with ftpd, and I do not want to give them all the same username
> and password. The way I have done this is by putting them all in the
> same group, I made the home directory owned by one of the users, and set
> the directory permissions as 0770. This works great for ftp, as I had
> expected it to. The problem arises with telnet. When a user telnets in,
> they are not put in the common home directory, an error message is printed
> which says:

Something you could try is create somethign along the lines of
/home/restricted/username.

Then restrict their access to /home/restricted.  But the other solution that
I employ for creating ftp/pop only accounts is to creat a program such as
pop.only or ftp.only which simply write to stdout a message that this
account is not valid for interactive login.  And chance their shell to this,
( with appropraite updates to /etc/shells where need be).

Barry