Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:56:09 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@via-net-works.net.ar>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System freezing, IDE HD suspected

Fernando Schapachnik wrote:

> Hello:
>         I have a system running 2.2.8 with two IDE (Caviar) HDs.
> Suddenly, it freezes, leaving nothing on either syslog (even debug!) or
> console.

I have had that happen and it went away when I upgraded the cpu,
motherboard, video, and memory. I really thought it was
motherboard/video related. It had problems with more than one bank of
memory. There wasn't any point in puting more money into it. It was a
P 166 and it is now a Celeron 433, which runs some of my applications
about 1/3 slower than my PII-400's. I used the same HD's (WD -
Caviar's) and NIC in the new system and I didn't have any problem.
Someone had a sequence to replace hardware and test for such failures.
If it was your HD, I would a assume a fsck would find a problem area.
I would also expect some IDE error's or recovery's before the hang. I
had a WD 3.1GB Caviar die and it left tracks in the system log.

This doesn't mean I don't think it is your HD. I just think other
things could be causing it. You probably can't find out which one it
is with out substituting one thing at a time. I would re-seat your
cards so that everything has a new connection. Dust can collect and
cause problems. I live in a dusty area and the dust seems to work its
way down in between the PC Card and edge connection because of
vibrations from things such as fans, HD's and etc. I had one system
that was sensitive that way but none of the others were. Re-seating
the cards was where we started trying to diagnose a system problem.

Kent

>         I suspect it's HD failure, as I've seen similar behavior when such
> a thing happens. The problem is, there are two disks. Is there any way I
> can tell the system to be "more verbose" so as I can see a message
> telling which was the file or disk it could not read/write? Is there any
> other way I can get that info?
>
>         Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Fernando P. Schapachnik
> Administración de la red
> VIA Net Works Argentina SA
> Diagonal Roque Sáenz Peña 971, 4º y 5º piso.
> 1035 - Capital Federal, Argentina.
> (54-11) 4323-3333
> http://www.via-net-works.net.ar

Kent Stewart