Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2005 03:33:04 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 100Mbit network performance - again

On 7/26/05, Andrew P. <infofarmer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all!
>=20
> I remember being able to reach 11-12Mbytes/s between two Win95
> workstations with NE2000 $10 NIC's installed, connected via BNC cable.
> I am now able to reach 11-12Mbytes/s between all kinds of Windows
> 2000/XP machines with all kinds of cheapest 100Mbit ethernet hardware.

How is it possible to get "11-12Mbytes/s" from 10Base2? Redo your math
( 2(20) * 10 / 8 ) and you get an absolute of 1.31MB/s for 10Mbit
Ethernet. BUT this number has no meaning in the real world! The
theoretical maximum data throughput for a 10Mbps Ethernet system is
9.744MB/s using 1518 byte frames. The last time I checked Microsoft
could only break anti-trust laws, not physics.