Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:02:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        David Holloway <daveh@gateway.dkstat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slattach redialing

David Holloway writes:
> Any one know if the slattach redial option (default actually)
> has been fixed? I believe it had something to
> do with tty code.

It hasn't been broken since 2.0.5.  I've had it work *flawlessly* on my
dedicated connection since then, with *NO* problems whatsoever.  The
only time it fails is when the remote end doesn't answer the phone.

I've appended the relevant files/snippets from my setup at the end.  If
that doesn't work then your modem isn't setup correctly.  Make sure the
modem control lines follow the world and are not simply 'forced' on.

Nate
-----------
*snippet from /etc/rc.serial*:
# Initialize assorted 8250-16550 (sio) ports.
# maybe    d a  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v
# mouse    d a      2
modem    d a    1
# terminal d a  0

[ I also changed the speed from 57600 -> 115200 in the modem function ]

*snipped from /etc/sysconfig*:
network_interfaces="sl0 lo0 le0"
ifconfig_sl0="inet 206.127.76.104 206.127.76.97 netmask 255.255.255.0"

*/etc/start_if.sl0*:
#!/bin/sh
slattach -c -h -r /etc/sliphome/dialout -s 115200 cuaa1

*/etc/sliphone/dialout*:
#!/bin/sh
#
#
# This program uses the chat program to (re)dial and connect back up to the
# SLIP host

PHONE=1234567
USER=Suser
PASSWORD=youthink
DEVICE=cuaa0

# XXX - As it stands now, we try to dial the remote site every 10 seconds
# or so until it answers.  It would be better to have an exponential
# backoff algorithm, but this way is much easier to write and guarantees
# a connection as soon as one is available.

# Wait just a little for the line to settle down
sleep 10

(if chat -v ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT BUSY "" ATZ1 OK ATM0 OK ATDT$PHONE CONNECT
"" ogin: $USER ssword: \\q$PASSWORD
then
    exit 0
else