Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:07:20 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

>>> 115k minus 20% async overhead.....Mostly I've heard about 70k or so for
>>> async links....If you don't think that 20-30% is worth an extra hundred
>>> dollars, then I guess you're entitled to that. It is, however, a
>consideration.
>>
>>Really??!!
>>

>>I had a 386DX/40 that routinely chatted with a 386DX/16 at 115200 (UUCP over
>>TCP/IP as a SLIP connection) and consistently hit > 10.5K/sec -- the number
>>ran around 11K/sec during non-peak times here at MEI, and I attribute the
>>difference to our network rather than any of the FreeBSD boxes involved (our
>>network traffic peaks at wire saturation at times, and never falls below
>>10%).
>
>90K still isn't 128k though??!!!!! So what does this have to do with ISDN,
>anyway? You realize, of course, that you're going through a Telephone switch
>digitally with ISDN.....

   Let me add a bit of sanity to this part of the discussion. 115200 baud async
will give you about 11.52Kbytes/second if you have no packet overhead. 115200
baud sync will give you 14.40Kbytes/second if you have no packet overhead.
   Why? Because we're talking bits - async is 8 data bits plus 1 start and 1
stop bit...10 bits. With synchronous serial, it's just 8 data bits. So sync
always has the potential to give you 25% more bytes throughput at the same bit
rate compared to async.
   Now with sync you'll also be running at a faster bit rate (128000bits/sec).
This is 16Kbytes/second. This is 38.9% faster.

-DG