Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:57:35 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: file permission question

> Hi,
>
>  Thanks for the help... guess I'll leave those files as is...
>
>  I've also changed the permissions on the commands/progs here:
>
>  finger
>  last
>  lynx (just don't like other ppl usin it... )

	$ cd ~/compile
	$ tar xzvf ~/ftp/lynx.tar.gz
	$ cd lynx
	$ [ configure --prefix="$HOME" ; make ; make install ]

Anyone with a home directory and access to the compiler can build
their own custom versions of utilities like lynx.  There is not much
point in having in your system software whose source is freely
available on the net, and trying to restrict people from using it by
changing permissions.

-giorgos