Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 21:23:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions on ENVIRONMENT variables in printing system

Dear Sirs.

I use "magicfilter" out of the ports-collection with great success, but
I have a general problem with environment variables like PATH etc. when using
piping or filtering through some applications.

I preprocess my PS-Input with psset from the a2ps-suit to set some setpagedevice-options
for duplex-printing or tray selections. psset calls fixps after it has performed its
tasks, but fixps isn't fiund at all because the environment within magicfilter works
seems not to know anything outside the pathes /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin.
I see no possibility at this moment to use a workaround by filtering through files.
I got rid of thsi problem by symlinking fixps from /usr/loal/bin to /usr/bin, but this
is not the way of elegance. How can I pass environment variables to the lpd-system and so
far for the magicfilter? Is this set up by some specifications in /etc/login.conf?

Thanks in advance,

Gruss O. Hartmann