Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:03:04 +0800
From:      David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Jason DiCioccio <Jason.DiCioccio@Epylon.com>, "'current@freebsd.org'" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re[2]: FW: Filesystem gets a huge performance boost

Hello Matt,

:>> I'm not 100% convinced about the algorithm to avoid clusters filling
:>> up with directory-only entries (it looks like a worst-case would fill
:>> a cluster with 50% directories and 50% files leaving a bad layout when
:>> the directories are populated further), but then the non-dirpref
:>> scheme has some far worse worst-case scenarios ;-)
MD> :
MD> :Just to follow up on myself... it seems the dirpref stuff was
MD> :committed to FreeBSD this morning :-]
MD> :
MD> :--
MD> :Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>

MD>     Yup, Kirk committed it.  I really like the changes -- in the old days
MD>     disk caches were tiny and directories were not well cached on top of that.
MD>     It made sense to try to keep directories close to their files.

Any plan to MFC? I am interesting to see it in 4.3-RELEASE.

--
David Xu