Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:20:34 -0700
From:      dmp@aracnet.com
To:        ks@itp.ac.ru
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Layer 2 ethernet encryption?

"Sergey S. Kosyakov" wrote:
> On 07-Sep-99 dmp@aracnet.com wrote:
>>> >

>>> You can establish secure tunnel with TUND - over tun(4) pseudo-devices if
>>> you
>>> use routing, or over divert(4) sockets with ipfw(8) rules for LAN.
>>
>> Both of which require that unencrypted IP headers be used.  This
>> allows the use of a TCP sniffer to monitor from where and to whom
>> traffic is going.  By the standards of my group, that's a security
>> problem.
>
> Could you please describe you problem more detailed - I mean what do you want
> to do? You want hide from where and to whom traffic is going on Ethernet LAN,
> isn't it? Then use ethernet switching hub.

I have two problems.  The first is that EM emissions on UTP allows
one to monitor all traffic on that cable.  The second is that a
sniffer run on an authorized machine will be able to see the source
and destination IP and port of all IP traffic on it's segment.

I want to fix both problems.  Encrypting everything above layer 2
does this.  The only determinable aspects of the packets would be
the source and destination MAC addresses, relatively sufficient
security given the security policy and topology of the network in
question.