Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2011 09:26:26 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SOLVED] Re: labelling root file system (RELENG_8)

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 04:02:43PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 08.06.2011 15:11, schrieb nickolasbug@gmail.com:
> > 1. Change your root fstab record to /dev/ada0s4a (not label!), reboot
> > to single mode and try to re-label partition.
>
> Indeed not mounting from the label was (apparently) the key to solve
> this.  Thank you.
>
> In fact the successful procedure was:
>
> - from boot menu, escape to loader prompt
> - set vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ada0s4a
> - boot -s
> - tunefs -L mylabel /dev/ada0s4a
> - mount -a
> - edit /etc/fstab to use /dev/ufs/mylabel as device for /
> - shutdown -r now

I have the exact same question except not with regards to labels but
toggling TRIM capability on the root filesystem.

- Start system
- At loader, boot single-user (option 4)
- At prompt choose /bin/sh
- mount -a
- tunefs -t enable /dev/ada0s1a --- fails
- sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
- tunefs -t enable /dev/ada0s1a --- works
- tunefs -p /dev/ada0s1a -- shows TRIM enabled
- reboot
- Boot into single-user, multi-user, whatever
- tunefs -p /dev/ada0s1a -- shows TRIM disabled

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |
| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |