Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:23:07 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-2?Q?Mistery_X?= <mumija@o2.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Applications starting problem (from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/) after upgrade

Definition of the problem:
Installed applications daemons which have their startup scripts in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ are
not starting during system boot as they should.

Description of the problem:
I had very good working server at FBSD 5.2.1 with several
applications (such as apache2,
mysql, pureftpd, postfix, saslauth) and I have upgraded it one day,
due to security advisories
of FBSD developers, and application advisories due to portaudit
advisories.
Buildworld and whole process of upgrading system from cvsup goes
well, portupgrade of applications
also. And after that I discovered, that upgraded applications does
not start during system boot.
I chcecked my srcipts permissions (fine), same scripts (fine too -
if I run any script from
commandline after the system start, it boots the proper daemon
nicely) and config files of
applications (fine too).
After that I started to read forums, and google, then find out  that
daemons now needs declarations
in /etc/rc.conf so I added them. Still nothing. I finished with that
I added the scripts at the end
of the only starting script which is apache2 script, but this is
*NOT* proper solution, even
if daemons are working.
Can *anybody* give me *any* hint/tip or tell me what I did wrong? Im
fightng with that for almost
two weeks right now, and that affects all 3 of my machines.

System details:

rc.conf:
apache2_enable="YES"
oidentd_enable="YES"
mysqld_enable="YES"
pureftpd_enable="YES"
local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"

installed versions:
apache-2.0.50
mysql-client-4.0.20
mysql-server-4.0.20
pure-ftpd-1.0.19
postfix-2.1.3,1
cyrus-sasl-saslauthd-2.1.18_2

sample startup script from .../rc.d/:
pure-ftpd.sh:
#!/bin/sh

# PROVIDE: pureftpd
# REQUIRE: NETWORKING SERVERS
# BEFORE: DAEMON
# KEYWORD: FreeBSD shutdown

#
# Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf to enable pure-ftpd:
#
# pureftpd_enable="YES"
#

. /etc/rc.subr

name=pureftpd
rcvar=`set_rcvar`

command=/usr/local/sbin/pure-config.pl
pureftpd_config=${pureftpd_config:-"/usr/local/etc/pure-ftpd.conf"}
required_files=${pureftpd_config}
pidfile=/var/run/pure-ftpd.pid
procname=pure-ftpd

pureftpd_enable="YES"
command_args=${pureftpd_config}

load_rc_config $name
run_rc_command "$1"

system:
FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8

Please, give me any help, if you know what is going on here.
Thanks a lot, mumija.