Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 07:20:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sysinstall "probing devices" hangs only on 3.0-199810??-BETA, not on 2.2.7-RELEASE boot disk

Sorry this is after-the-fact... I really wanted to get this in
before -RELEASE but had no working computer until last night. :(

I can't start the 3.0-19981009-BETA or 3.0-19981015-BETA install
process because sysinstall is hanging at the "probing devices, this
may take a while" screen.  Upon switching to the second VT, the
final DEBUG message is either (forgive my paraphrasing please)

DEBUG: found a disk wd0

or

DEBUG: found a DOS partition wd0s1 on wd0

depending on whether or not there really is a DOS partition.  Prior
to that, it will find ed0, lp0, and create all the slip/ppp
associations appropriately.

The same machine will go through the same screen in < 10s with the
2.2.7-RELEASE boot floppy.  Here's the config:

486 SX 25
AMI BIOS from 1992
8 MB RAM
1.44 FDD
1.2 GB IDE HDD (BIOS does not support any sort of LBA)
VLB IDE/IO controller (also tried w/ ISA IDE/IO controller)
VLB WD Video (also tried w/ generic ISA video)
NE2000-compat ISA NIC

I've tried all manner of switching kernel configs around down to
leaving just fdc0, wd0, and ed0 (the install files are on the
network, so I can't leave ed0 out unless I resorted to lp0 or
something) and done just about everything to the HDD from fake
geometries (which didn't even let the system POST properly) to many
different sized DOS partitions.

Any ideas?  If this is determined to not be my fault, I'll submit
a PR.  But I'm not sure. (:

Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>   | If only I could learn Japanese and get my
Servant of Karen Behrens       | hands on all 200 Sailor Moon episodes and
Engineer, Nameless IRC Network | all the movies, I think my life would
I eat penguins for breakfast.  | finally be complete . . . . . . . . . . .