Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:08:40 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, papowell@astart.com
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:51:25 CST, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > I think the primary reason given is that LPRng is under active maintenance,
> > and the existing BSD lpr is not.
>
> That seems to me to be the primary motivator.  Other folks were talking
> about our lpr being somewhat arcane.
>
> My only concern is that we lose through incompatibility with previous
> releases what we gain in maintenance.
>
> Of course, I'm one of the people that isn't affected by this.  I'm just
> worried about the "replacement bandwagon" that seems to be gathering
> momentum.  I'd feel more comfortable knowing that each replacement
> proposal were evaluated on its own merits, rather than just being
> allowed to ride in on the momentum of another.

We're in the same boat here.  I'm a very lightweight user of lpr, but
also worry about replacement "because it's cool" rather than replacement
because it really needs to be replaced.

OTOH, I'm the first to agree that lpr is an arcane pile of bits.  I
wonder if we shouldn't hold out for something even more up-to-date than
LPRng.  Rather than going with an LPR system that sucks less, perhaps
a really good queuing system that knows how to feed printers, handles
print and graphics files formats automagically, and is configured through
a simple web interface?

If we start it, we can license it suitably, but can probably still get
the Linux gang to help us with the code.  ;^)