Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2018 13:43:01 -0800
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Mike <the.lists@mgm51.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: Is maximum swap usage tunable?

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 02:37:36PM -0500, Mike wrote:
> On 2/28/2018 1:55 PM, bob prohaska wrote:

> >> I was running into swap speed / timeout issues.  There were messages on
> >> the console to that effect.
> >>
> >> Once I put the swap space on rotating rust, that part of the compile
> >> problem disappeared.  I use 1GB swap space.
> >>

> > The latest kernel versions seem to have largely done away with the
> > "indefinite wait buffobj" warnings. They're few and far between,
> > the compile proceeds unless they're abundant. The fact that armv7
> > has no problem, and the system is reporting "out of swap" with 34%
> > in use strikes me as suspicious. Kernel and userland are in sync,
> > so the figure of 34% swap usage is probably accurate.
> >
> > Perhaps my question is better phrased thus: How does FreeBSD-arm
> > determine when it's out of swap?
> >

> Thanks for the follow-up.
>
> I was planning to download and try the
>
>   RPI3-20180226-r330034
>
> image file this evening.  Per your comment, I'll not use the rusty swap
> space, and see what happens.
>
> I'll report back, probably on the morrow...

FWIW, I've been using Sandisk Extreme USB 3 flash drives for
/usr /var/ and swap on the Pi3. It seems that flash write
speed is a tighter bottleneck than USB 2.0 ports on the Pi.
Attempts to use older, slower USB 2 flash drives on a Pi2
didn't work, though the symptoms were never "out of swap".

Good luck!

bob prohaska