Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:08:01 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mounting a Bootable FreeBSD disk

	This is a time when I don't understand all I know yet.  I
just built a system using the FreeBSD4.7 CDROM and then removed
that bootable drive and temporarily added it to another identical
FreeBSD box as a second drive.

	I added it hot for practice in an upcoming upgrade and
used camcontrol rescan 0:1:0 to get the running system to see the
new drive.  This appeared to go without a hitch and the kernel
printed several diagnostic messages about the new drive.  Good,
so far.

	I know that secondary drives containing a UNIX file
system are extremely easy to mount.

	This bootable drive, when in its proper slot, brings a
system right up with no errors.  When I try to run fsck on
/dev/da1 or mount /dev/da1s1 on /mnt, the complaint is of a bad
superblock.

	Should a regular mount command work?

	Unless the SCSI start up procedure corrupted the drive, I
don't see why there should be any complaint.

	Again, my procedure was to run camcontrol rescan 0:1:0 to
make the system see the new SCSI device.  Then I tried to fsck
and or mount and that's when I got all the bad superblock
messages.

	The disk in question is bootable right in to FreeBSD with
no boot manager or multiple OS's.  It is as simple as it gets.

	The plan is to temporarily mount the drive, make a tar
ball of the whole thing, and then put it back in its home server.

	The errors remind me of what I saw the first time I ever
tried to mount a DOS-formatted floppy disk or a CDROM before I
read about the special forms of mount that exist in FreeBSD.
Many thanks to all of you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group