Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:36:00 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ls(1) options affecting -l long format

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 01:00:05 MST, "Brian F. Feldman" wrote:

> The reason I say it doesn't make sense is that you shouldn't be asking
> for a long listing with ls -l if you want numeric ids, you should be
> using ls -n. Instead of your alias, you should just be using ls -n
> where you'd otherwise use ls -l.

That's good enough for me. :-)

If there are no objections (other than the obvious backward issue of
compatibility) in the next few days, I'll bring Chris's change in (with
a style fix), as well as teaching -o to imply -l.

I'm not to phased with backward compatibility on this one, since I think
it's always been understood that the output of ls isn't really intended
for scripts (that's what find and test are for).  The OpenGroup spec
actually makes a point of that in its manpage.

Thanks for your input.

Later,
Sheldon.