Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:18:32 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Ben Compton <peabody007@deepspacenine.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time Servers

Ben Compton wrote:

> I'm running 3.2-release and I am trying to set up a time server so that
> other machines both FreeBSD and Windoze can sync their clocks to my
> server.  I have xntpd running to the point that my server's clock is synced
> with bitsy.mit.edu at bootup.  What I am now needing is a way for my
> servers clock to sync itself 3 or 4 times a day and then function as a
> server for other machines to query.

	I think you're a little confused. xntpd is a daemon, it stays alive and
does what you want, namely keep your clock synched to an outside source,
and lets other machines synch to it. ntpdate is the program that you run
before you start xntpd because it does a one time synch up to your external
source to make sure xntpd has a fighting chance of succeeding.

	So, you want to enable ntpdate in your rc.conf file with that server in
the flags variable, and enable xntpd with that server in your ntp.conf
file. If this isn't clear enough, write back with *exactly* what you have
in  your conf files and we'll see if we can straighten things out.

Good luck,

Doug