Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 01:58:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jay <jay@oneway.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Jos Backus <J.G.E.Backus@urc.tue.nl>
Subject:   Re: Duplicating drives using dd.. won't work?

> >       I have a SCSI drive that I wish to make an exact copy of.  The
> > drives that I am going to be copying onto are identical to the master
> > (same model).

> If you look at the disks with fdisk (``fdisk sd0;fdisk sd1'' comes to
> mind), do they both have the exact same geometry according to FreeBSD?

   Yes... I did a disklabel -e on the destination drive and gave it
all the settings (exactly) from the source drive.

   I decided to try it a little differently.  I used the same
command:
	  dd if=/dev/sd0c of=/dev/sd1c bs=32768

   Only this time I booted from the boot floppy and the fixit floppy to do
it.  It worked that way.  So it seems like you can't dd with a source
drive which has a filesystem mounted.
   My new question is why doesn't it work even if the filesystem
is mounted read-only.  If someone knows why that is I am very interested
in knowing that.

Thanks alot to everyone who replied,

Jay K.