Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 18:29:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Atipa wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 1998, Sean Kelly wrote:
>
> > Atipa (Kevin) wrote:
> > > <Puts on flame-retardant asbestos suit>
> >
> > Smart.
> >
> > > The consumer ultimately decides what sells and
> > > what doesn't, and not the providers.
> >
> > I'm not sure that's true.  If an operating systems vendor makes
> > contracts with computer manufacturers that its OS is installed on all
> > manufactured systems, the consumer gets stuck with a `sale' that s/he
> > didn't necessarily choose.
>
> How long would those contracts last if the product was inferior?

Win 3.x was inferior and those contracts lasted until the consent
decree was signed.

> There will always be a choice.

You know that, I know that, the people on this list know that,
but Joe Sixpack doesn't know an operating system from a TCP/IP
stack from a serial port.  To him it's all part of "the
computer".  Whatever comes on the box he bought at Kmart will
probably be the only thing to ever run on it.

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null
       Mail from netcom.com blocked until they stop relaying SPAM