Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:13:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        pc.mackenzie@utoronto.ca (Paul MacKenzie)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: syslogd: unknown facility name "telnet" error

[Please CC the list when relpying. Thanks.]

Paul MacKenzie wrote,
> Chris,
>
> It is weird that this did not show up on the previous server (as the config was
> the same)
>
> I have the following line
>
> telnet.*                                        /var/log/telnetd
>
> How can I add this in as a facility (if possible at all)?

'telnet' is not a valid facility. See syslog(3) for a listing.

> Obviously, the nature of the need is to log all telnet messages in a specific
> area
>
> Thanks for your help

I answered a similar question about named a while back,

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=10144929+10147486+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-questions/19990509.freebsd-questions

Grepping the telnetd code, I spotted the following,

telnetd.c:      openlog("telnetd", LOG_PID | LOG_ODELAY, LOG_DAEMON);

Which shows telnet uses the 'daemon' facility for internal
messages. However, I believe telnet calls 'login' which talks to the
'auth' facility. To catch all of that, you would enter something like,

!telnetd
*.*						/var/log/telnetd

Which I think should do it.

HTH.