Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 01:39:24 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <joelw@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sending file descriptors over AF_UNIX sockets

   Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 00:45:44 -0400
   From: Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
   Sender: owner-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

   I understand that it is possible to send an open file descriptor over
   an AF_UNIX datagram socket.  I've been looking over the source for
   leads as to how this might be done; anybody care to help me?

Well, now that you're asleep, I looked up sendmsg in w richard stevens
and found that hte reason I can't grok the kernel source refering to
msg_control is because you have to provide your own struct msghdr and
pass that to the kernel.

program 15.9 and 15.10 seem to be what you want to look at.  it's around
page 488.  you can ftp the source from ftp.uu.net in
published/books/stevens.advprog.tar.Z (assuming that the info in the
book is actually accurate; I haven't tried it)

happy hacking,
joelw