Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:00:18 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Time sync

In the last episode (Jul 08), Steve Friedrich said:
> I want to know the "best" method to use to sync my 486 box via the
> Internet, and I want it to act as a time server to my local machines.
> I have been using ntpdate manually on occasion to sync time from
> otc1.psu.edu.  But I don't know how to make the box a time server for
> my local net.  I've tried xntpd, but then it takes the port and
> prevents ntpdate from running.  And I still couldn't get it to serve
> time to a local FreeBSD box running 3.2.

If you have xntpd running, ntpdate is not needed.  xntpd is both client
and server.  you should have something like:

server laker.net
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

Your ISP is a strat-2 ntp server already; no need to bug a strat-1
server for your little dialup net.

The 127.127.1.0 "server" is really your internal clock, "fudged" to be
a low priority strat-10 server; it'll fall back to that when your link
is down.

You will also want to add port 123 to your keepalive and dialout
filters in ppp, so that the NTP packets don't force a dialout or keep
your line up if there's no other traffic.  That way, then your link is
up it'll synch to laker.net.  When your link is down it'll free-run,
but still serve time to your internal net.

> This is just a home network and time isn't critical, but I want to sync
> time from the Net, maybe once a day or once a week, but serve time to
> local machines any time they request it.
>
> help...
>
> cc me please, I unsubscribed from the list due to heavy traffic.

standard operating procedure for this list.  (the CCs, not the
unsubscribing :)

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com