Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:28:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Micropolis Runs Too HOT!

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Tom Jackson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just started using a Micropolis Tomahawk, 7200 rpm 4.5 gb
> hard disk about a week ago. All was well until yesterday
> when starting getting scb messages and system froze.
> Killed system (no shutdown,turn power off) and when trying
> to startup again, the scsi bios did not see the disk at
> scsi id 0. Took case off and the disk was hot to very hot
> to the touch. Cooled it off with a fan and turned air
> conditioning on.
>
> The long and short of it is now I am running my computer
> with the case off and a fan blowing on the hard disk bay.
> The hot mic is the bottom one in the bay. There is a drive
> space before the next drive, also a Micropolis 2 gig, 5400
> rpm drive (it runs cool).
>
> Has anyone seen a problem like this and do you have any
> suggestions. I have contacted the Micropolis web site but
> have not heard anything back yet.
>
> The warranty is like a catch 22: "If you run the disk too
> hot, we will void your warranty" <Sigh>
>
> Anyone, please
>
> Tom

  Microcopolis drives suck.  You will need to mount a fan near the drive.

  I have two Micropolis 3243 drives.  I eventually mounted two 50 CFM fans
on the case, which kept the drives at room temperate.  This worked well,
but then one of the drives begain to develop bad sectors.  I turned
auto-remapping on, and the problem disappeared for a while, and then
returned presumably because the spare area was full.  This same drive
started to hang on a weekly basis, and require a power cycle to be
properly detected by the controller (same situation as your drive).  Was
definitely not heat related, as the drives are *well* cooled.  Seems to be
a software problem.

  I also have some more Microcrapolis horror stories involving a 24GB
drive array.  Microcrapolis engineers actually came onsite for this one,
and did firmware upgrades, twice.  After a year, the entire thing was sent
back for full credit.

  Unless you like to punish yourself, DON'T get Micropolis drives.

Tom