Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 18:24:44 +0300
From:      Antti-Pekka Liedes <apl@hutcs.cs.hut.fi>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AHA-3940U hangs?

I just switched from NCR to AHA-3940U and now I experience two kinds of
problems: first of all, the freebsd bootloader on the second disk is
unable to boot freebsd on it.  It worked with NCR.  Second: after booting
to freebsd with a floppy (entering "sd(1,a)/kernel" to the prompt), my
system hangs about half a minute after starting to run /etc/rc.  The
hangup comes quite randomly, sometimes it can't even get X running,
sometimes I'm just barely able to log in from xdm.  After hanging up, the
HDD led just burns brightly and nothing but cold reset works.  Windows NT
and Windows 95 both work after the controller change.

My 4 disks are now in two buses (all used to be in the one NCR-bus), first
two in the first bus and last two in the second bus.  First disk contains
50M FAT I use to boot to NT and 95, the second disk contains freebsd root,
the second and third contain freebsd /var and /usr concatenated.

The disks do work, fsck is able to finish along with the rest of the boot
sequence.

--
Antti-Pekka Liedes  *        apl@IRC            *  In two hells there's
JMT 6 B 406         *       apl@iki.fi          *  one hell too many