Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:13:54 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clang - what is the story?

--------------enigA0F7B45DB3F85C0AAAFE4F05

On 21/01/2012 17:47, Raimund Steger wrote:
> On 01/21/12 14:35, RW wrote:
>> [...]
>> It is that. I don't know the details, but GPLv3 is sufficiently more
>> viral that recent gcc versions can't be used as the base system
>> compiler. We're currently stuck with a version from 2007.
>=20
> Sorry if this has been asked before, but it makes me wonder, what are
> the plans for SPARC and PowerPC?

PowerPC is apparently supported by clang, so ultimately it should just
switch over like i386 and amd64.

Clang doesn't compile on sparc64 at the moment.  I assume this is just a
temporary state of affairs and sparc64 support will be forthcoming
eventually.  Until then sparc64 will have to make do with the current
gcc in base.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20